Thursday, November 9, 2017

ROW80: If It's not snow, it's rain . . .

Here's my Round 4, Check-in 11:  
WRITING GOALS by Sunday 11/12: Use 750 words to write a minimum of 250 words a day on Island Wife. Make final revisions/formatting for Rivers of Stone a top priority. Completed revision on Rivers of Stone. Now working on final formatting for Kindle. Wrote 800 words this week on memoir. No progress on Island Wife. Taught workshop on “Deep Revision” on Wednesday (more about this on writing blog).

BLOGGING by Sunday 11/12: Post on Writing Blog. Report in for ROW80 Weds and Sunday. Posted Thursday. Plan to post re writing workshop on Writing blog. Read posts by other ROW80 writers x6 for the week. Read x1 this week so far.

MARKETING by Sunday, 11/12: Work on marketing/timeline for Rivers of Stone release. Finalize cover back. Send queries re blog hop/early reviews for Rivers of Stone release. Send November newsletter. Send query re early reviewers. Set up pre-orders. Sent request for permissions x2 for quotes in Rivers of Stone. Other: Draft PR for SASP Anthology release party and send queries to reviewers.

You might have noticed I'm changing up the reporting to make deadlines more visible. And hopefully more efficient.

Like any other week, this week has begun with a pretty full schedule. Most of my 'free' time went to prepping to teach yesterday's workshop on "Deep Revision" over in Coeur d'Alene, which was a blast. Personally, I think I wandered a bit, especially in the intro, but the writing activities were fun, people were active participants, and I learned some new ideas along the way. Plus, the topic will show up in this week's Writing blog post!

With story revisions finally complete for Rivers of Stone, and the workshop behind me, I can now switch my writing attention for the rest of November to NaNoWriMo. Yippee!

One tip I found in researching that workshop was a reminder to think about one of your writing goals just before going to sleep. This way, the unconscious part of your mind works away while you sleep. I've done this off and on and often have been surprised in a pleasing way. So, this morning's insight was about how to write memoir.  I've struggled with how to talk about events and issues I'd rather not share. The 'suggestion' from my unconscious this morning was to write a letter to my daughter. Sounds flaky. But this little tip changed both content and tone -- and the words flowed! 

Me, Allen, and Rachel . . . Back in the day (1980s)
What's the bottom line? The snow melted. It's raining. We're one week closer to Thanksgiving. As we set goals for the rest of this month (and December on its way), I'm thankful for A Round of Words in 80 Days and wish you all a very productive and happy month!

Why not check out what's happening on the FACEBOOK group or on our WEBSITE




3 comments:

  1. Some progress, some changes... especially from the 1980s! (those being the awkward high school years for me, but probably just as busy being a mom for you). Love the idea of thinking about one of your goals before bed. Thank you for sharing that tip, Beth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Eden. Sometimes I think I will never, never catch up, and then I realize that although my to-do list is too long, I choose to not cut anything. At least, not quite yet.

      Delete

Thank YOU for visiting and commenting!