Wednesday, November 29, 2017

ROW80 Weds: Digging In . . .

Let's keep it simple as we balance between this year's memories of Thanksgiving and the end-of-the-year to come. Red = no progress.  Blue = Done!

WEEKLY GOALS BY DECEMBER 2.

1. WRITING: Proof the final paperback for Rivers of Stone by Sunday, 12/2. NOTE: Final proofing of Rivers of Stone depends on whether I get that darn proof copy in time! Read Mothers Don't Die to see if the story stands on its own. Done. Edited Chapters 1-4. So 4/30 done. Write 1,000 words on Island Wife. So far, 350 words. Started researching smugglers in northern Scotland. Write 4 poems. 3/4 so far.

2. BLOGGING. Weds and Sun for ROW80. Finish Part 3 on deep revision for writing blog. The monthly post for Insecure Writer's Support Group is set for December 6 (my birthday) and asks us to look back over the year. Would we have done anything differently? I'm not sure at all.

3. READING. Start tracking reading again. Goal to read 6 books for December (and review at least 2). Reviewed Suzanne Ireland's Mermaid in a Fishbowl. Harder for me to read paperbacks as the print is just too small.

4. MARKETING. All out media push and setting up readings for Spokane Authors' new Anthology with launch party this Saturday, December 2. Probably 6 hours so far. Meeting today. In process: sending out review requests for Rivers of Stone. Sent out 5 requests to 3 wonderful writers who said YES! Plan to send newsletter by December 6. Did first draft. Prepping for book signing, December 11. Dropped off poster, media sheet.

5. NEW GOAL: Home-tending (inspired by Shan Jeniah) to work just 2 hours a week on some long-ignored part of our home. This week: focus area = the kitchen. 2 sessions done. Even DH helped, but the stove awaits. Decluttering continues. Emails down to under 100 again. 

QUESTION: How long do YOU keep those notes and papers that support previous books? I'm ready to start heaving them out for more space in filing cabinets. How about you?

OTHER GOALS: Almost done with another comfort quilt and ready to start a twin-bed size for littlest grandchild. Bright owls against a powder blue cloud filled sky. Maybe machine applique. The generosity of quilting friends warms me when I work. Not making progress with physical exercise just now. Keep missing swimming classes. DH is sick now for 5 weeks and we're gearing up for the second trip to the doctor. So I try to stay balanced between what is possible and what needs to be done.

BACK TO WRITING: When I read Mothers Don't Die this time, I wasn't reading marked up pages. I uploaded the latest draft to Kindle and tried to read it as if I were reading this thriller/suspense tale about a kidnapping for the very first time -- and that I didn't know the writer (me). 

Surprise! Not everyone will like this tale, but it drew me in. Another surprise: So much of my writing was shaped by childhood experiences and memories. Here's, finally, another new goal: This old, much revised tale will be up on Kindle before 2018.

Me playing with my cousin, Jimmie, on Bainbridge Island, about 1951.
Now, what's happening on our FACEBOOK group or on our WEBSITE.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like some nice progress so far.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've made some serious progress, Beth. Sorry to hear you've been fighting with illness in your house too. Hope it's something that a doctor's visit can fix. Until you know, just keep plugging along as you are... it seems to be working for the most part.

    (PS: I try to put anything I can save into an electronic folder "for the future" and anything I can't I tend to box away for the same reason. Because sending a book out to a publisher isn't really "the end" of all the processing... sometimes it's the beginning... or so it's seemed for me)

    ReplyDelete

Thank YOU for visiting and commenting!