Wednesday, July 18, 2018

ROW80: Week 3: Wednesday & Spain

I always wonder why I should post on any Wednesday for A Round of Words in 80 Days (ROW80). Sometimes I do just skip, because Sunday was just yesterday, wasn't it?

Updates for Midweek, Week 3:
--On track to meet goal of +1,000 new words this week (800 words so far).
--Digging into research on museums collections, robberies, and types of theft.
--Have read x4 other writer's blogs.
--Staying afloat with babysitting immersion this week and next.
--Quilted a little each day. Exercise. Not this week. I'm counting running after the 3-year-old and the 6-year-old as exercise!

Now, about WIPpet and the writing, I do have a chapter outline and a general sense of my characters and what's going to happen next. But each day (and each bit of research) takes me in unexpected directions. Today's surprise was an amazing collection of tapestries -- in Spain!

Here with thanks to Emily Wrayburn for Wednesday's SNIPpet (WIPpet) are 7 short paragraphs (for the month of July) from my current work-in-progress:

-----
     Sandra slipped into Roger’s office, struck again by the two small framed tapestries that decorated his office. “Those are quite lovely. Are they French?”
     “You have a good eye,” said Roger. “I’m very proud of them. Actually, though they were woven in Flanders, these two are from Spain.” He touched the frame of the two hangings. “They were a gift from the Giroux family, one of our major donors.”
     Sandra wondered if the gift had been approved by the museum. She looked again at the hangings. “Were they part of the collection at the Palace of La Granja just outside Segovia?”
     Roger looked at her with surprise. “Yes, I believe they were . . . surplus, or something like that.” He huffed. “I do have appropriate provenance.”
     Sandra shook her head. “I visited Spain a few summers back. What an amazing museum. The palace itself was modeled after Versailles.”
     “I haven’t been. Yet.”
     “I do have good news for you. Mrs. Campbell is going to donate the Narwhal Cup to our Museum.”

-----
Check in with other ROW80 writers on our BLOG or FACEBOOK page!


PS Someone asked me how I come up with names -- Here, the internet is another rich resource. I usually search (as this morning) for 'most common last names in France'. Or, first names. Usually 2-3 resonate, and my character has a name!  Sometimes I find names of places by reading street names as I drive around, as in the Waterford Inn or Sprague's Tavern. If I'm feeling very snarky, I might use the name of someone who was mean for an antagonist. And how do you pick your character names or place names? Have a great week writing!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank YOU for visiting and commenting!